Port Dickson or commonly referred to as PD has always been a convenient holiday spot among locals and foreigners. Strategically located about 34 kilometeres from Seremban city centre, KLites can also easily drive to PD as it is only about an hour and a half from Kuala Lumpur city centre.
Nestled within the small state of Negeri Sembilan is the coastal town of Port Dickson. This is one of the top tourist destinations in Peninsular Malaysia most probably because of its close proximity with the Klang Valley.
- Currency: MYR (Malaysian Ringgit)
- Dialling code: Dialling to fixed lines in Port Dickson will require you to use the prefix +606. Meanwhile, calling mobile numbers will require you to use the respective prefixes as provided by the operators
- Airport: The state of Negeri Sembilan is very near to the Klang Valley. As such, it does not need to have its own airport as it is very close to KLIA and klia2 airports respectively.
- Airport Tax: This applies for both domestic and international flights
- Distance from airport to city centre: The KLIA/ klia2 airports are located about 25 minutes drive from Port Dickson
- Temperature: Port Dickson’s temperature averages around 26 and 35 degrees Celsius
- Climate and Weather: Tropical with high humidity
- Common languages: Bahasa Malaysia, English Language, Chinese and Tamil
Transportation in Port Dickson
If you are flying in, you will surely come from KLIA and klia2 airports. From there, you can hail an airport taxi which starts from about RM90 per trip. However, you can now use the ride sharing services from Grab and Uber which could be slightly cheaper.
Highlights of Port Dickson
Tell anyone you are going to Port Dickson and they will surely tell you all about the seaside and of the beaches. In Port Dickson, you can see places like:
- Cape Rachado – Known to the locals as Tanjung Tuan, this place was built by the Portuguese during their occupation here to guide ships coming into the Port of Malacca then. Still running to present day, it is a great place to visit when you are in Port Dickson
- Army Museum – known to the locals as Muzium Tentera Darat, you can easily see this place from the main road. There are a lot of items on show ranging from vehicles to weapons and other artefacts of war
- Fort Lukut – Not far from the central Port Dickson, this place is known as Fort Raja Jumaat. A former Bugis fighter, you can still see some of the loading guns that were enacted here since the 19th century.
- Beaches – a trip to Port Dickson will never be complete without the seaside and the beaches. There are so many hotels and resorts here, you will be spoilt for choice on where to stay. However, you can always visit the public beaches if you are here for a short while
Foods around Port Dickson
- Seafood as Port Dickson is a coastal town, you can find seafood at most of the restaurants here
- Siew Pow – Possibly influenced by neighbouring town and capital Seremban, you can find this snack being a local favourite around the major areas
Near and accessible beaches
Unlike other beaches around Malaysia, Port Dickson is famous as the main road surrounds the coastline. Hence, drivers can stop while driving to their preferred accommodation and plunge into the pristine clear water. This paradise for vacation offers more than you can expect.
PD – Holiday destination for everyone
Holidaymakers, honeymooners, leisure seekers and business travellers get to enjoy the panoramic ocean view while sun-baking under the hot sun surrounded by swaying palm trees and white sandy beach. Vacationers can easily purchase fresh coconut water or sugar-cane juice from the vendors along the road while spending their time relaxing on the beach.
Goes by many names
Back in the older days, Port Dickson was known as ‘Tanjong’ in Malay Language (it refers to cape). The oldest shop lots in PD were located along Jalan Lama. Since there were also carbon mine near Jalan Pantai, locals also called Port Dickson as ‘Arang’ (it means charcoal).
Origins of Port Dickson
Realizing its potential as a harbour, the British decided to develop PD in order to replace the existing Pengkalan Kempas. Since the officer in-charge at that time was Dickson, the town was given the name, Port Dickson.
Over the years, Port Dickson did not develop much as a port but it turned out to be a popular seaside recreational and relaxation destination. In the beginning, PD was catered to British officials and their families as a unique resort town. Years later, the town has even attracted locals particularly after independence in 1957. Hence, PD today remains a popular seaside destination among locals and foreigners.
PD bloomed in the 80s
Port Dickson reached its peak in 1980s when hotels, resorts and apartments started their construction along the beaches. Thousands of visitors flocked in to PD during weekends. Even water sport operators were booming in 1980s.
Sadly, PD failed to maintain its popularity with the emergence of other charming beaches in East Coast such as Cherating and Tioman. Besides that, vacationers also realized that beaches in PD were getting more polluted. But thanks to government’s effort to clean-up the beaches in conjunction with Visit Malaysia and other related initiatives, Port Dickson has once again gained popularity from the holidaymakers.
Hotels, resorts and apartments in the vicinity worked closely with the authorities to keep the beach clean. Today, Port Dickson once again offers scenic ocean view of pristine clear water and white sandy beaches.
Some said PD is more beautiful today than years before. Thus, you’ll notice that beach-lovers and families often come back again during the weekend to enjoy the waters and indulge in various activities here.
Attractions in Port Dickson Negeri Sembilan
Visiting Port Dickson can be very pleasing if you know where to go and what to expect. Among them;
Blue Lagoon Port Dickson
Sun-tanning on the beach with birds chirping and soaring in the skies will leave you an unforgettable experience. Located approximately 10 miles from south of PD town is the beautiful Blue Lagoon. Situated on the left of Cape Rachado, Blue Lagoon is more of a small bay and has clear blue seawater that can captivate those who spend their time lazing around the beach.
Most visitors often described it as one of the most spectacular tropical paradise with fine white sand and lush shady pine trees. Among some of the popular activities here include:
- jet skiing
- sea sports
All in all, it doesn’t matter what you want to do in Blue Lagoon Port Dickson because after all, spending a weekend at Blue Lagoon playing the clear blue water is a wonderful experience.
Teluk Kemang Beach Port Dickson
Teluk Kemang Beach that is situated approximately 3.5 kilometres away from Blue Lagoon main road is among one of the hottest spots in PD for water sports, water scooter as well as kayaking. This fun-filled beach offers more than exciting outdoor activities as holidaymakers can try out the scrumptious and delicious local dishes situated along the beach.
In addition to that, the beach is also fully-equipped with modern amenities for your comfort that includes shower facilities, wash rooms/ toilets and ample car park. Tourists shall visit Teluk Kemang beach in August as the annual Port Dickson Festival is held specifically for tourists with a touch of local cultural shows. Holidaymakers can choose to stay in a range of hotels located within the vicinity of Teluk Kemang. However, if you decide to visit Teluk Kemang in August, bear in mind that the beach is crowded during that particular month.
Wan Loong Temple
Wan Loong Temple is situated along the coastal road. Wan Loong simple means “dragon in the sky”. Tourists and holidaymakers commented that the temples is the one of the biggest and most beautiful architecture in PD. The outer walls of the temple resembles a fortress while numerous legendary statues such as the historical monk Xuanzang, Sun Wukong and Zhu Bajie are placed within the temple’s compound. Looking spectacular from the top of a hill, the circling fortress gives the viewers an impression of a secluded private premise closed from the outside world.
Property Development in Port Dickson
Port Dickson has in recent years emerged as one of the busiest trading centre following the construction of railways to facilitate the development of PD and as a result, helped to boost state’s economy. But bear in mind, even though PD has experienced rapid development over the years, the beautiful beaches are still well maintained to encourage holiday makers to spend leisure time enjoying their weekend at this beautiful tourist destination. But all in all, PD emerged as one of the top tourist attractions in Negeri Sembilan as this is the only beach in the state.
Backpacking in Port Dickson
Backpackers and families do not have to fret about accommodation in PD as the town comprises various inexpensive and five-star grand hotels namely Corus Paradise Resort, Desa Lagoon Resort, Duta Villas Golf Resort, Duta Hacienda Riviera Resort and plenty more.
Duta Hacienda Riviera Resort, a luxurious and exclusive 300-bedroom hotel was designed based on Mediterranean concept. The rooms are elegantly furnished with various facilities and amenities to ensure visitors enjoy their stay throughout the holidays spent in this resort. Among some of the hotel facilities offered are Fun Village, reflexology pool, Jacuzzi and also children’s fun pool.
Another accommodation suitable for families and tourists in groups – Casa Rachado Resort Apartment is specially designed for visitors’ comfort and convenience. Overlooking the mangrove forest with flora, fauna and historic landmarks, visitors can indulge in wide array of exciting activities such as jet skiing, canoeing, snorkeling and speed boating.