Pulau Tioman is reputed to be one of the most beautiful islands in Malaysia, if not the world. This island getaway did not get its reputation for no reason.
Tioman Location Facts
Facts about Tioman Island
- Currency: MYR (Malaysian Ringgit)
- Dialling code: Tioman Island comes under the administration of Pahang state. As such, it uses the +609 prefix if you are dialling to the fixed lines. For dialling into mobile numbers, you can use the assigned prefixes as provided by the telcos.
- Airport: Flying into Pulau Tioman is possible through Tioman Airport.
- Airport Tax: applies to all flight using the airport
- Distance from airport to city centre: The airport is very near to the town centre which is about 5 kms away
- Temperature: Tioman Island experiences cool weather throughout the year ranging between 24 to 34 degrees Celsius
- Climate and Weather: Tropical with high humidity
- Common languages: Bahasa Malaysia, English Language, Chinese and Tamil
The best way to come into Pulau Tioman is through ferry from Mersing. This is because flying in is only through Berjaya Air. Meanwhile, getting around Pulau Tioman is quite easy as you can get a bike or by car.
Highlights of Tioman
Pulau Tioman is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the country. Within the island, be sure to check out the likes of:
- ABC – Otherwise known as Air Batang. This is the infamous beach that you will see in most brochures and images when you search for Tioman Island. Along the coast, you will be spoilt for choice when it comes to accommodation as there are very affordable ones as well as the more luxurious options too.
- Juara – A more pristine beach that offers an alternative as compared to ABC which is known to be more commercial. One of the most distinctive factors about this place is that you get a bit of everything which include waters coming in from the mountains not far away.
- Turtles – You can head out towards the Juara Turtle Project. This is where you can see how the conservation efforts of this endangered species is all about. In fact, they are looking for volunteers if you are interested.
- Waterfalls – If you are interested in something different the usual sand, sea and sun, then you might want to visit the Asah waterfalls. Known as Mukut, this is just one of the many you can find around here. Getting there itself is a joy.
- Activities – Since you are coming to an island, you can expect to enjoy some snorkelling and scuba diving. Some resorts will offer you additional activities like rock climbing and jungle trekking too.
Foods around Pulau Tioman
Around Tioman, you will find food at most resorts and hotels. Depending which part of the island you are, there are certain outlets that are quite popular. Among them include:
- Arini’s Family Restaurant – This is in ABC and quite a cosy place.
- ThaiFun Restaurant = Typically Thai food if spicy dishes are your forte.
- Bushman’s – Quite a unique name in Juara.
Tioman along the east coast
Pulau Tioman is located along the east coast of Peninsular Malaysia. It is actually a small island which measures only about 39 km long and 12 km wide. It is part of the Mersing Marine Park of the Pahang state.
Among the most beautiful beaches
In 1958, the beaches in the island were used in the movie South Pacific. It was even listed as among the most beautiful islands in the world by TIME magazine once. This is mainly attributed by the inhabited dense forest within the island. for divers meanwhile, there are several white coral reefs around the island too.
Mainstay of Tioman Island
One of the highlights of visiting Tioman Island is that you will see large monitor lizards in a lot of places. They will be wandering in public places most of the time while you could see lots of cats too.
Transportation into and around Tioman
To get into Tioman, there is a nominal fee to pay and another RM20 fee to enter the Marine Park. You will need to do this prior to departing at the ferry terminal in Mersing. Most of the ferries will bring you to Tekek village, the largest one here. Among the transportation modes to get into Tioman includes:
- Tioman Ferry from Mersing
- Speedboats by charter
- Ferry services from Tanjung Gemuk
- Boat services from Singapore
- flying in through Tioman Airport
Within the island, you can easily get around using boat, motorcycles, cars or even on foot.
What to see around Tioman
The island itself has a lot to see and experience. you can check out:
- Air Batang – fondly known in short as ABC, this village is a great place to visit where you can enjoy the rustic lifestyle. Homestay accommodation is available while public services like boat trips and island excursions are available as well.
- Asah Waterfalls – Known as Mukut waterfalls, this is one of the many waterfalls in the island. this is the one which was featured in the movie where you can enjoy some of the most beautiful sights around.
- Water activities – Scuba diving is common around here. If you like the waters, you can easily go for a dive if you are certified. Operators are all around the island like the Scuba Amigo, DiveAsia, Tioman Dive Centre and many others.
- Jungle Trekking – Nature lovers, you are in for a treat! There are all types of jungle treks around Tioman Island. If you like to hike, try to get to the peak of Gunung Kajang, the highest island peak in West Malaysia.
- Other activities – Besides the common activities, you can enjoy others like golfing, kayaking, snorkelling, cycling and even go shopping