Best Johor Bahru Hotels
Accommodation options in Johor Bahru
There are many options available if you are looking for a place to stay around Johor Bahru. Among them includes:
- The Nagaria Inn in Kluang is one of the few accommodation choices in this sleepy town renowned for its toast and coffee. Rooms start from RM65 per night.
- Goodhope Hotel offers a good place to stay in Skudai where rooms start from RM110 per night located in Taman Skudai Baru.
- Over in Muar, there is Riverview Hotel where rooms start from RM75 if booked online. The operator also operates the Townview and Streetview hotels in Muar town.
Hotel Rates and popular spots
Rental of rooms and apartments within JB is among the highest in the country largely due to the rising popularity of property here with Singaporeans. Rooms start from RM90 while apartments can go up to RM900. The areas of Nusajaya and Gelang Patah have been known to be more affordable while places like Skudai and the surrounding towns are fast becoming more expensive and competitive as they are located not far from JB city center.
Facts of Johor Bahru
- Currency: MYR (Malaysian Ringgit)
- Dialling code: The state observes the +607 dialling code if you are calling the fixed lines. Dialling codes for mobile numbers are the same as other states.
- Airport: JB is connected via the Senai International Airport
- Airport Tax: domestic and international flights
- Distance from airport to city centre: slightly less than 24km
- Temperature: similar to most other cities, JB averages around 26 to 35 degrees Celsius
- Climate and Weather: Tropical with high humidity throughout the year
- Common languages: English, Bahasa Malaysia, Mandarin, Tamil
Getting around in JB can be easy if you do not mind the high taxi fares which usually starts around RM35. Unless you are going about in the city centre, getting to other suburbs can be quite far. Bus services are available from around RM8 per trip. Otherwise, you can engage ride-sharing services which are available here.
JB has a good mixture of a modern city with strong historical trails. If you are into these, then you have come to the right place. Among the highlight here are:
- Theme Parks – The Sanrio Hello Kitty Park is at Puteri Harbour while about 15 minutes from here is Legoland Malaysia. In the heart of JB at JBCC is the Angry Birds Activity Park. There are enough parks here to keep the kids busy for days!
- Sultan Abu Bakar Mosque – Built during the late 1800s, it is among the most beautiful mosques in Malaysia. Often a sight to behold from far and near
- Royal Abu Bakar Museum – This is the place to go if you’d like to view the royal collection of artefacts and other items
- Sri Raja Mariamman Devasthanam Temple – A tourist attraction and one of the most favoured places of worship for the Hindus around here
What to eat in JB?
When you are in JB, you must seek the following:
- Johor Laksa – Known for its unique paste not found in other states. It is said that the Johor Laksa has its own character as compared to those in Sarawak or Ipoh
- Otak-otak – Quite a common local favourite here, this spicy fish taste is barbecued to perfection within its banana leaves
- Ikan Bakar – You can find it anywhere where you get all sorts of fishes grilled and served with original gravy.
Entertainment Spots in JB
For a taste of the night life, head out to:
- Jalan Dhoby
- Taman Molek
- Stulang Laut
- Danga Bay
If you like the branded goods in the shopping malls, you might like the ones at the Premium Outlet about 20 minutes away from the city centre.